iTunes On Chromebook
iTunes is Apple’s multimedia platform (including iPod, iPhone, and iPad) that many users love. However, there are not so many possibilities to run iTunes for Windows on Chromebook. There is no official way to do it at all.
The problem is that iTunes requires a Mac OS X operating system to work. But fortunately, we can use VMWare Player (free VM software) to access Mac OS X virtual machine inside our Chrome OS machine installed with Crouton chroot. Later, without exiting the Crouton environment, we will have an opportunity to install someone else’s version of iTunes into this virtual machine.
iTunes is a popular media player and library app developed by Apple Inc., but unfortunately, it is not available for Chromebook. However, there are still ways to access and use iTunes on a Chromebook. One option is to use a cloud-based virtual desktop service, such as Amazon WorkSpaces or Microsoft Azure, which allows you to access a virtual Windows desktop on your Chromebook. You can download and install iTunes like on a regular Windows PC. Another option is to use a third-party media player app, such as VLC or Foobar2000, which can play music files in various formats, including those from iTunes.
Pros of iTunes on Chromebook
iTunes matchless quality
iTunes for Windows is the best media player compared to any other software because it has incredible features. It can download music, TV shows, movies, and podcasts. You can download your all-time favorite songs into Chromebook to enjoy offline use them while traveling or anywhere.
With iTunes on Chromebook, you can also time-shift live TV. So, there is no environmental issue while using iTunes on Chromebook. Moreover, you do not need an Internet connection to work with iTunes because it works offline very efficiently.
Cons of iTunes on Chromebook
Difficult installation process
Installing iTunes on Chromebook will be tough for new users because they have never had something like this before. But the method is straightforward, and anyone can do it quickly. You need to learn about Crouton chroot, VMWare Player, and download Apple’s virtual machine (Virtual Box).
After getting these things, you have to install VirtualBox on your Chromebook. Later, open the VMWare player and create a new virtual machine by importing Apple’s virtual machine. Now run iTunes in this VM through VMWare player.
Top 3 best methods about How to install iTunes on Chromebook?
Method 1: Run iTunes on your Chrome browser
- Download Crouton.
- Extract the file you’ve downloaded and open a Terminal window inside chroot. 3. In the Terminal, type sudo sh ~/Downloads/crouton, t Xfce.
- Enter your administrator password when prompted, then wait for it to install all of the components that you selected (e.g., it will download VMWare Player).
- When finished, start your Chromebook by typing sudo startxfce4. Then go to google chrome://extensions, enable developer mode, click “unpacked load extension,” and choose the folder where you have extracted vmdk files to in step 1C above.
- Turn off or restart your VM by pressing “Ctrl” and the right arrow key simultaneously.
- When you log in again, Crouton will automatically open the VMWare player for you.
- At the bottom of the screen, where you see icons for Chrome OS, Linux, Play with iTunes, and Windows (this is your Mac OS X guest environment), click Play with iTunes.
- You should now be able to run iTunes on Chromebook!
Method 2: Run a virtual machine inside your current operating system
- Open “Chrome Shell (crash)” by typing Ctrl+Alt+T at the same time (you can’t copy and paste here).
- Type ” shell ” at the crash command prompt (no quotes).
- Type ” Sudo enter-chroot -n trusty /bin/bash “.
- When prompted, type your password (there’s no visual feedback while typing passwords; you’ll see stars if it’s right).
- Now that you’re running Linux on the inside of Chrome OS, download Crouton (see Method 1 above), open a terminal window within Crouton, and type sudo sh ~/Downloads/crouton, t Xfce.
- Enter your username and password when prompted. Follow the remaining prompts given by Crouton Installer to install Xubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr inside chroot.
- After installation, log out of the chroot.
- Open crash again by typing Ctrl+Alt+T, and this time type shell at prompt. You should see your Xubuntu graphic user interface (GUI) on the screen of the Chrome browser.
- Type sudo startxfce4 and follow instructions to get Ready to use iTunes on Chromebook!
- The vmdk advice is helpful if you want to listen to music but not sync between your devices. If you would like to sync your data between different computers, please read the post: How Transfer Music from iTunes to Chromebook?
Method 3: Run Mac OS X in VMWare Player inside Chrome OS
- Download Chromium OS (Google’s open-source operating system) here, and the file name must be “Chromium-image, latest.” As of now, it is called “Update to Chromium 38.0.2125.101 for Intel x86”, follow the instruction on the screen step by step until installation is finished emerge.
- Make a new virtual machine with at least 16 GB memory and 20 GB disk space. 3. Attach the Chromium OS image we just downloaded as a virtual hard drive by clicking “Open a Virtual Hard Drive File” and selecting your .img file.
- When the installation is finished, power on your VM and wait for 10 minutes until choose is loaded to let you use Chromos and start this VM simultaneously.
- Login with the user name “Chromos” without a password (don’t worry if nothing happens when typing a username).
- Open terminal (at top left corner) and type: sudo enter-chroot -n trusty /bin/bash.
- Then follow Method 1C to install iTunes into Mac OS X guest environment inside VMWare Player, enjoy!
In conclusion. It is fascinating that we can use iTunes on Chromebook or Chromebook for free of cost because there are no restrictions from Google side to access any software which works with Mac OS X, i.e., VMWare player. In addition, there is not any privacy issue while using iTunes because it is run through your Chrome OS to create a virtual machine in VMWare Player. So, you are entirely safe while accessing iTunes on Chromebook.
Apart from this if you are interested to know more about Save A Picture On Chromebook With Step By Step Guide then visit our How to category.
Is it possible to transfer music from iTunes to Chromebook?
After connecting both devices, open up the File Transfer window on Chrome OS, drag n drop all the required content into it. Then safely eject the media player before disconnecting it. That’s it! Enjoy all of your favorite audio files Chromebook now.